Tuesday 9 November 2010

A Comfy Sofa for the Conservatory!!

I'm still thinking about the roof blinds so while I was thinking about them I made the sofa for the conservatory. This was a fairly cheap sofa that I bought some time ago always with the intention of stripping it. However, having stripped the sofa to the bare bones I now realise that it's basically simple shapes joined together so I'm tempted to build a matching chair from stratch using foamboard as I don't really like cutting wood.
I wanted a sofa that had a rattan-type frame with some plump cushions and here's how it came about. The original covers were removed and the sofa base recovered using Aida, the fabric used in cross stitch. (For any fellow cross stitchers out there this was justifiable as I had a large piece of bright yellow, 14 count fabric that I knew would never be used for cross stitch because of the colour - see photos for verification!!!!) Here are all the bits recovered in Aida!
After reassembling the sofa it was ready for painting. I painted it with brown acrylic paint, several coats to mask that yellow! Then a light coat of satin varnish to seal the paint and add a bit of a sheen.

I then got on with the cushions for the seat and back. I bought this dark red fabric at the same time as the blind fabric because I thought it complemented it well. Some little scatter cushions (these might be changed) and the sofa was done.



I'll let you know how I get on with my matching chair! Until next time x

6 comments:

  1. Love what you have done with the sofa - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison I truly love it.You have given me a good idea. Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a beautiful job. It's so pretty! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, me encanta este cambio. La idea de pintar la tela aida es genial.
    Parece que los tapiceros tienen poco trabajo con nosotras :)
    Besos Clara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and lovely result, so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Allison. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, so please leave a message to let me know you've called by x